9.26.2009

Concentration #3

First off, I want to say that this concentration piece will be changed a lot as soon as I'm able to work on it more. Overall, I like the feel of the piece with the radial structure of the web and the somewhat concentration structure of the water droplets, but I will make this clearer as I continue to work on it. To create this piece, I first painted with watercolor over the entire piece of bristol board. It is difficult to see, but when the bristol board was still wet, I went back in and scraped off parts of the paper surface to create the lines of the web that originate at the center and give them a jagged feel. I used acrylic paint on top of this and then went in with Sharpies and water colored pencils. My message is a little bit obscure at the moment, but if you look closely in the reflection of the water droplets you can see the shape of a hand. As I work on this piece, I plan to make the mesage much clearer to the viewer. I'll post another image of the final product once I'm happy with it, but for now I would love to hear any suggestions that anyone may have!

3 comments:

  1. Kristen-this one is really cool and intriguing in my opinion. The design element is definitely strong with the radial structure of the web, and I like how the "shading" within the web is actually smaller webs. The water droplets are cool, and the fact that the shadows are actually hands is really original! Some things you could improve would be to add shadows or something underneath the water droplets to make it look more like they're resting on the web, rather than floating in space. I also think you could extend the web shading stuff out further. Overall, well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While this piece was strong I still believe that you could add more or maybe do more layering on top of the web. I really like the bright warm colors with the cool color contrast on top forming it's own design intirely. Also I do not really understand the significants of the bubbles I do not realize what they have to do with the spider web or your concentration maybe work on these to better bring your message across.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen- This is a nice illustration that is very imaginary. However, for your concentration I want to see you present the "facts" to me. What is a spider web? What does it look like? How might it feel if I could touch it? What does it look like under a microscope? If you can do some fact-finding and then take those facts and present them to me in a way that is imaginary (but relates back to real-life), your concentration will be much more interesting. Spend time researching your subjects and then break them down in a way that is lyrical and imaginary but alludes back to life. You have a good start - you just need to focus on what your actual investigation is at this point.

    ReplyDelete