9.14.2009

Concentration #1


This is my concentration piece #1. My investigation of humans' connection with nature led me to create a somewhat abstract image of a dandelion puff made up of human figures. The piece has a strong radial design structure and a focus on line, value, and texture. I first started off with acrylic paints on canvas and then decided to sharpen the edges and add more detail with the use of colored markers. This strengthened the texture of the piece and made it overall more interesting. The mood is peaceful/ dreamlike which I think is the result of my color choice and abstract composition. I belive the unusual perspective and the use of mixed media was taking a risk, but consequently it resulted in an engaging piece.

2 comments:

  1. Kristin, I think you did a really good job on your first conentration. I really like the colors and your idea. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen,
    You have a great start to your concentration! A couple of questions that I have would be - how do you plan to show man's connection to nature? How will the amorphic figures evolve? How do you plan to change/manipulate your design structures to get your idea across? I would like to see you explore this in your thumbnail sketches for your concentration. Finally, for this project, the radial structure is evident but could be evidenced more by cleaner lines, and a progressive radiation that is consistent with shape and line. You did a great job problem-solving through this assignment and I think that with a little more planning up front your work will be even stronger. Continue to develop your concentration statement as you develop your ideas!

    ReplyDelete