10.03.2009

Concentration #4

Here is my fourth concentration piece. Continuing my theme of abstracting nature, I created this on water color paper with similar mixed media I have used for my past works. I started off with a watercolor base by using water soluble crayons, layered acrylic paint and went back in to redefine my shapes with colored Sharpies. There is a fairly large amount of contrast and a wide value range throughout. The mood gives an almost busy, fast paced feel, as if the water in the stream is rushing to get somewhere. The choppy surface of the water and the swaying water plants give it a sense of rhythm and movement while the similar shapes throughout the piece add a sense of repetition. The human figure that can be seen in the plants helps to abstract the work. The idea of reality is conveyed above the water, but below it seems a bit more dreamy and unreal. To further the differences between the air and water, I used warm, light coloring above the surface while beneath the surface I chose to use cool, deep colors. I would love to hear any comments or advice because I know this piece could be improved! In this upcoming week, I am going to try to redefine my concentration statement to make it more specific and clear to the viewer. Thanks :)

2 comments:

  1. Kristen... this is your best one yet. I LOVE THIS ONE. It is kinda abstract but i love the orange you added into the background, it shows you drew from life. I am very impressed on how you did the under/over water scene in one picture... amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen- Good work. I think this composition is your strongest so far. One, you drew form life and that is more evident in this piece. I like your risk-taking in your color choices but I still want you to experiment with color more. Most of your color values in this piece are very similar. Consider having more variety in color intensity and color value. Also consider investing of some of the irridescent color pigment that I mentioned in the last critique. I heard that you can get this at AC Moore... Research the Art Nouveau for the lyrical line qualities and I think you will continue to get ideas for your concentration pieces. As always, I want you to present the facts. What are the facts of nature that you can first present in your drawing and then how can you manipulate color and line to also add the imaginary to your work. Revisit your concentration statement to make sure that there is an obvious and direct connectioin to your artwork presented. Overall, the quality of your individual works of art continues to improve and shows evidence of thinking. Your confidence in your work will come from knowing what the object looks like through observation and then having fun creating the imaginary and breaking it down for the viewer. Overall, I enjoy looking at your artworks and you have demonstrated growth with each piece. Nicely done, Kristen.

    ReplyDelete