11.16.2009

Concentration #9

This piece doubles as part of my concentration as well as part of my application to RISD :). This piece shows a definite shift in my concentration. To create this close up image of a splashing water drop, I moved beyond the two dimensional piece of paper and created a three dimentional paper sculpture by cutting out the shaded "splashing water" and making them stick out of the page. The only medium I used to create this piece was graphite pencil to give the droplets value. The final product shows a radiation structure through the ripples and the droplets that emerge from the page. I took a risk by making this piece, but I feel as if my risk resulted in an interesting and engaging piece.


5 comments:

  1. Ohmygoodness Kristen. I love how this looks! First of all, KUDOS on stepping out of your comfort zone. You pulled it off. This piece obviously shows the greatest risk-taking yet. Your design element is strong with radiation, repetition and gradation. The detail of the water droplets is very realistic and strong, and the piece has good balance. I'm so impressed! I don't have any criticisms...just keep going with this new focus on risk taking and transforming your concentration. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute i want to put it in a pop up book. however you may want to paint it in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was required to be in graphite only, and even though I realize that it may not completely resemble my other concentration pieces because of its lack of color, I think it still has visual coherence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one though it is different from your other pieces. I like that it is sort of 3D and incorporates almost sculpture-like qualities. It is very interesting and risk taking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I like this piece and the way that it photographed. I would continue to emphasize value and make your marks more purposeful. Your weakness right now is that it looks like you did not spend as much time on it and that is directly related to your mark-making. So, go back into the piece and clean it up a bit more and continue to develop the value on both sides.
    You also might consider adding another ripple of smaller droplets on the outer edge of your paper to continue to break up space?

    ReplyDelete