11.24.2009

Concentration #10

My concentration continues to change along with my sources of inspiration. This week, I felt inspired to create a piece in the nature of Stormi Gignac's work. Like Stormi, I focused on minute detail and intricate design patterns to abstract a form. By breaking down this tree into many different parts and creating a design pattern within each part, I have created a piece that successfully shows abstraction.
To create this piece, I used only colored markers. I first drew the outlines of my objects, broke them down and simplified them, and then used my markers so create interesting internal designs. This attention to detail emphasizes the complexity found in nature.
This piece clearly shows the transition my concentration has gone through to become more focused on abstraction. Because I was able to have fun with this piece, I wanted to spend more time than usual working on it and it resulted in a highly developed piece. The busy lines, dots, swirls, and squiggles create an almost dizzying effect, but at the same time make it that more intriguing. I'm happy with this final product and plan to complete my remaining concentration pieces in a similar manner of abstraction.

3 comments:

  1. The tree roots and the dark colors makes this a very sucsessful piece. love the structure in the back ground too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen-this may be your best one yet. You obviously spent the most time on this one and it shows. It is the most unified of your works because of the unifying style you used..you are really starting to take abstraction of nature to a new level. I love how the background recedes yet is still intricate. The gradation from lighter brown to dark at the bottom is awesome too. I think you should apply this approach to your last two concentrations. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    Good job! I very much like the internal patterning that you have going on in this piece. My one suggestion to you is to go back and make even smaller patterns within the medium shapes. If you look at your patterns, most are the same size and by having smaller areas, it will help add variety and interest. It will also help to create a greater range of value and visual weight in your work so that the your patterning is not solely dependent on color or color value for visual weight and value.

    ReplyDelete