10.18.2009

Concentration #5

This piece is quite different than my other concentration pieces while still having a visual connection to the whole concentration. I wanted to create a piece with a stronger exaggeration on abstraction this time and chose to make the subjects pine cones. While studying a branch of real pine cones, I noticed the repetition of the shapes that make up the cone. I planned to focus on these shapes and try to break them apart while still hinting at the real object. With black acrylic paint I created the negative space around and woven inbetween the "petals" of the cones. From there, I used a combination of watercolor and Sharpie markers to fill in the white spaces with interesting designs and patterns. Continuing with the human element, I included images of the human body with my designs. The piece turned out very bold and almost hectic, but it gives the feel that nature is alive and pulsating. I'm unsure if I like the silver marks I created around the objects, so let me know what you think. :)

2 comments:

  1. hey I love how abstarct it is. Yeah its a little busy but it works! the pinecones were an excellent idea.though my only concern is that the concentration idea isn't really present you can vagely see the eyes and the hands you put in there but you really have to search for it. over all good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. I feel like this piece is a turning point for your artwork. You did a good job cleaning it up and I would definitely eliminate the silver by toning it down or by forcing the silver into it's own patterning so that it is more purposeful. Also, good work controlling the patterning to help show value.
    You should look at Chuck Close's work for your self-portrait project!

    ReplyDelete